Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Being Spastic, Listening to Country Music, Watching TV

I've mentioned before that I can be a rather scattered worker. Since I sent off Prince Dead to Mills and Boon, I have not had a clear direction in which to work. I can't work on the sequel until I know which version of the original I will use, so I have basically been playing. I’ve written 70 pages each for two different projects and 30 pages for a third one and am now deciding which one I’m really invested in at this point. That’s right; I could have 180 pages written on one novel right now if I had stuck to one topic! This is another reason I'm considering pursuing traditional publishing again. Deadlines actually excite and motivate me.

I’ve mentioned before that I obsessively listen to music while I write and lately I’ve latched onto country music. Though I spent my formative years in the middle of nowhere, raised pretty much any animal you can name, preserved 200 pounds of fruit a year, and spun my own wool, I’ve never been interested in the country scene. Mainstream music is just so intolerable right now that I’m branching out. Honestly, I’m kind of obsessed with George Strait, which probably means all three of my books will be sad. Also, Jake Owen’s hair is my hero. If you have a current country favorite, please let me know so I can e-stalk them.

There, now that I’ve given an update, I’m going to crowd-source my next move. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to re-brand So Many Secrets as purely a romance novel? That’s what it is at its heart anyway, and I’ve noticed that fiction which fits strongly into genre categories is the only thing that seems to sell for indie authors. I’m considering re-writing descriptions to change the focus, designing a new cover which will probably feature a standard topless male photo, and then running a massive free promo with the help of a packet of advertising sites another author sent me. Does this sound like a good idea? 

I’ve been letting marketing slip lately because no amount of work seems to increase sales, so I feel like I need to do something drastically different. I only wish I had written one Druid or magic sword into Nottingham so that I could brand it as fantasy. 

Next week, I’ll be talking about The History Channel’s new fictional series Vikings (which btw is branding itself as fantasy when it has no element of that so far). How could I not talk about that show? Please tell me you’ve been watching it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really impressed together with your writing talents as well as with the layout to your weblog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to see a great weblog like this one nowadays..

    my website; bcn box

    ReplyDelete