Monday, January 30, 2017

I'm Back!

So... it has been a while. A long while. What happened? Well, I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say real life kicked in and I let social media and the promotion of my novels fall by the wayside. Life has changed for me again, as ever it does, and I think I am finally in a good place to resurrect this blog and my writing career.

Some updates:


I did rework my Viking novel Prince Dead and submitted it to the Harlequin Historical series. After a six month long wait, it was rejected. As is always the case, I have no idea why. They say you cannot claim to be a writer until you have a file drawer full of rejection letters. So, I simply added that one to the pile and carried on working. The novel was re-worked again to streamline the plot and add back in the action that I had deleted in favor of the romance. It is currently published on Amazon.

The sequel to Prince Dead is currently about half-way written. I took a break from the series to work on some other things.

I have written a modern, Western romance, one that is intended to be the first of a series. I still have editing to do on it, but hope to have it finished soon. As a historical fiction author, writing this felt like a huge change for me. Having a character simply pick up a smart phone when they need to do something something is a huge departure from figuring out what a character might do in the twelfth century. I will write more about this later. I have the novel set aside for right now because I find it helpful to wait a couple of months to get some distance before trying to edit.

I also have about one hundred pages written for a new historical fiction series set at the outbreak of the American War for Independence. Going back to my roots, the plan for this one is a massive, multi-character epic. I would like to take a more balanced look at the war than has traditionally been popular and create a group of characters without any super evil villains twisting their mustaches in the shadows or pulp fiction heroes in white shirts, their long hair flowing in the breeze. Don't worry though, there should still be plenty of conflict and excitement!

As to the direction of this blog, I would like to begin diversifying the content of the posts. When doing research for my novels, I constantly come across recipes and ideas I would like to try. Sometimes that is the only way to truly get a sense of the history. Be on the look-out for posts on everything from baking Manchet bread to concocting medieval rouge.

Without further ado, let the blogging begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment