Thursday, January 10, 2019

I Wrote an Outline

That may not seem like an unusual thing for an author to do, but I'm a "pantster". That means, I store all of my book information in my head, write multiple novels at once, often completely out of order, and then fix any errors later. It is chaotic, but it has always worked for me.

As you may have noticed from my last post, I've made it a goal to publish a romance novel. Genre romance is actually more complex than it seems on the service. The list of "must haves' in the novels are lengthy, and readers have certain expectations that have to be met. These include specific beats the writer needs to hit at specific points in the story. So, this week I actually sat down and outlined the entire novel. It's not a complex outline, but it's an outline.

I also drew a character Venn diagram. Crazy? Perhaps a little. I needed to map out exactly what my characters had in common and what their opposing traits are. That way, I can keep the push and pull of their story genuine. I've assigned each character a color season so that I can consistently maintain the image they project. When writing a 50,000 word novel, the author really has to keep things tight. 

My other goal for 2019 is to get my writing organized and I think this is a great start. I know what scenes, major emotions, and atmospheres I need to hit when and I think I can do that without the story feeling forced.

Scrivener is continuing to be a huge help in getting my work to higher standard.

I have also started a writers journal. As you already know, I work full time. That means I need to use my downtime wisely if I want to keep up with my novels, my social media, and the occasional freelance work I do. The fact is that I simply need to write more. Keeping a journal and pen handy for ideas, story-boards, and even writing rough drafts should help me with that.
  

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost
    on everything. Would you propose starting with a
    free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are
    so many choices out there that I'm completely confused ..
    Any suggestions? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the challenges.
    It was definitely informative. Your website
    is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise info? Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the wonderful works guys I've included you guys to blogroll.

    ReplyDelete