Monday, April 2, 2012

Professional Review

I got my first professional review today! So excited. As you can imagine, I was terrified submitting it in the first place. What if I wrote a horrible book? What if she plasters it all over the internet? What if I look like the biggest idiot to ever try self publishing? I actually lay awake one night fretting. Writers!

She left me a glowing review, though. I could not ask for anything better and (perhaps this is massive ego stroking, OK it is, but I'm going to do it anyway) I am pasting it below. The Gates of Nottingham is now $.99 on Kindle and will be available for $12.99 in print next week and this bolsters my hopes for it.

****

"Having previously read next to nothing regarding Robin Hood and his legend, this novel was a fantastic surprise and hugely enjoyable. My knowledge regarding the subject is limited to the Kevin Costner film and that didn't really enthuse me.
This novel however, was fantastic. Every single character felt alive and believable and I followed them through their heady plot desperate to find out what was to happen next. I can't vouch for the historical accuracy of the novel but as a fantastic tale of believable characters, heart wrenching romance and some serious action, it cannot be faulted for ticking all the necessary boxes.
It's one of those novels that deserve to be turned into a film or TV serial as every single character is drawn with such accuracy and detail. A hugely pleasant surprise that I could not have enjoyed more if I tried considering it isn't the kind of thing I'd naturally choose. The author should be commended, especially as I couldn't put it down and swallowed it in two four hour blocks!
I especially enjoyed the ending but have to say I felt particularly sorry for Sir Guy of Gisborne despite my better judgement and wish things could have turned out better for him, despite his somewhat nasty nature. Favourite characters included the gypsy Maeve and Marion's sister Helena who's feisty attitude in the face of adversity is extremely infectious and likeable. Quinn offers readers a fantastic twist on an already well known tale."
Bethan Townsend, The Kindle Book Review        

1 comment:

  1. What a cracking review, well done!! I'm like you...just keep writing and waiting for the right person to read it. You've gotta do it to know it!!

    ReplyDelete